Wednesday, June 2, 2010

One of Daejeon's Famous Places--and I finally got there!

Yesterday was election day, and so I had a very exciting holiday, in which I *finally* made it to Gyereong National Park. It's probably the only place in Daejeon that's famous, and it was really wonderful.

The park is huge, with many peaks to climb, but we took a short (and very steep) course up to some small pagodas and a tiny mountain hermitage. It was only about 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) but it was so steep and so abrupt that it took us almost two hours to get up.

The green and the summer smell is making me really happy these days. It gives me a lot of joy, even though I am battling with the homesickness of missing Minnesota summers. Oddly enough, I'm also getting waves of homesickness from Eagle Harbor-like vibes too. That's kind of sad, because I don't even know the next time I'll be able to go there.

The view from the top of the mountain was fantastic. The mountains were bathed in the green trees, except for enormous pieces of that tan-yellow Korean rock that peaks to give these particular mountains huge bald spots. Like the back of a boar, or perhaps something from a really good fantasy novel.

Speaking of fantasy novels--I'm looking for some good ones to read. I'm going to order some books on the internet so I'm in the market for good reads. Here's my list so far...

Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found
About Mumbai--the city I'm going to in India!! Woo!!

Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who are Changing World
Really excited about this one: part travel memoir, part service to our sweet globe. Super exciting.

Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure
This book looks good because the author, at first, HATES India, and this is her story of learning to love it.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories
Salman Rushdie is such a big name these days... I want to read the Satanic Verses, too, since it's such a huge controversy, but the plot of the book looks a little out of my league.

The Darkness that Comes Before
A good old fashioned Fantasy novel to add to the mix--this one seems to have some good reviews, and the website says that it is similar to authors that I like.

Anyway, that's a lot... I need some help narrowing it down, but I'm hoping with all these books to read, I'll spend less time running around spending money. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment